So far, three names have surfaced:
- Nassau Democratic Chairman Jay Jacobs is supporting Legislator Laura Curran (D-Baldwin). She supports a New Yorkers Against Gun Violence mandatory firearms storage proposal for the county.
- Assemblyman Charles Lavine has the backing of the Assembly Democrat Leadership. Lavine has a long record of supporting antigun legislation in Albany.
- County Comptroller George Maragos. Does not have a record on the issue that I’m aware of.
Assuming Mangano does not run for another term, possible Republican candidates include:
- Former State Senator Jack Martins. Voted for the SAFE Act and ran for Congress last year as the gun control candidate.
- Hempstead Town Councilman Bruce Blakeman. A perpetual candidate who has run several times for higher office and lost each time.
- Hempstead Tax Receiver Donald Clavi. I have nothing on him.
A largely uninspiring bunch of people.