“U.S. Rep. Richard Hanna said today he will consider running for governor of New York in 2018, responding to the encouragement of at least a dozen top Republicans from across the state who approached him with the idea … Hanna declined to disclose the names of Republicans who have approached him to run for governor, but he said he has received calls from influential members of the party in the New York City area as well as Upstate …”
I don’t know him personally and I’ve only spoken to him once. Let’s examine what he brings to the table.
- Being a 3-term Congressman gives him some credibility as a candidate
- Generally positive record on 2A issues
- Might have some crossover appeal to Democrats
- Does not have the best relationship with local Republicans
- Not well known outside his CNY district
- Unremarkable career in Congress
I heard talk of him running once before. This looks like a trail balloon to determine interest in his candidacy.