What it is a modern looking shelf with a hidden compartment for one or more firearms. It is free floating with no brackets holding it up. It attaches to the wall though a metal bar which gets screwed to the wall. The shelf goes over this bar.
Here is a picture of this assembly:
Their medium and large units look big enough for a short-barreled gat like the Shockwave and possibly some extras. It has an RFID lock and comes with a key fob and battery backup. All necessary hardware, except 4 AAA batteries, are included. You need a screw driver, stud finder and possibly a level to mount it.
- It is solidly built from the wood, to the piston arm, to the wall bracket. It doesn’t feel at all flimsy.
- It is attractive. It has a matte finish of some sort on the wood. It’s not a stain and doesn’t look like paint.
- It absolutely needs at least one screw into a wall stud. I would stress this more in the instructions.
- From a few feet away it does look like a regular shelf. If you look closer you can see the little plug hole on top for the battery backup which is a giveaway, but that can be hidden by putting some chachkies on it.
- The RFID provides a reasonable level of security from children and guests. It is definitely not a gun safe and does not pretend to be.
- It’s styling isn’t for everyone. If you like modern decor it will blend in nicely. Others, not so much.
All in all I think it is a quality product.